Sunday, May 27, 2007

Losing my readership...

There's no doubt in my mind that it was sparse to begin with. Maybe even more than sparse. But to be honest, I've had little lately to talk about. Or write about.

Sure, I understand that if I was a serious and dedicated writer, there would be a plethora of opportunities to write something intriguing about the most banal of circumstances. It's like taking a photograph of some random flowers budding in spring, or of an abandoned, dilapidated gas station in a town that no longer exists. Of course there's inspiration everywhere, but just as with every transition season between school and work, I just lose the ambition to enlighten the world about my tragically intriguing life. Is that hyperbole? Or simple sarcasm?

Regardless, I'm finished coaching for the year (or so I think). My boys went to Nationals and played respectably... we finished tied for 5th in Div. 2 among 16 teams, so not a total loss. We should've medalled, however. My main starting setter was out with a sprained ankle in Game 2 of Day 1. Still, we were able to shuffle people around and we kept winning. The second day proved relatively successful as well, tying for 2nd in our power pool and moved to the Championship side of our division. However, on Sunday night, two of my players were goofing around after lights out and, making a long elaborate story short, one hit his head on the concrete floor, received a mild concussion, and spent the night in the hospital with one of the other coaches. I was going to go, but since I was driving back to the Okanagan from Calgary and the rest of the coaches were on the bus, the head of our club delegated the deed to another coach, and I spent a restless night at the hotel. Did I mention the concussion happened to our best hitter/captain? Probably not... I think that's what's called "building tension". Anyway, we only had 6 healthy players left and after some MAJOR reshuffling, they couldn't pull it together and we lost to a mediocre Alberta team from an even more mediocre Alberta town. But, 5th is still decent.

Otherwise, teaching is still going alright. I've been subbing/TOC'ing a fair amount, and I can't wait to blow all the money from my first paycheque. I need stuff, and in a bad way. Well, not that bad, but I want stuff. I'm greedy from time to time, and this is one of those times. Maybe some clothes. Actually, that's all I need. Easy to please... that's me.

Okay, no more rant. If you're still reading this, good for you. Drop me an email or leave a comment and maybe you can convince me to write a random stories about, I don't know, a coyote and a turtle or something like that. Hope all is well with the few remaining readers, whomever you may be.

- T

No comments: