Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blustery days...

I feel like I've been zapped back to a fallish day in southern Alberta. Only, there are more trees.

Wind is blowing outside my window, making memories of the red and orange and golden yellow leaves that cling hopelessly to tree branches throughout the parks and front yards of town. Clouds have been hanging over the city for a few days now... they make their way through the valley, but on some days, there's an infinite supply of cumulonimbus waiting to stretch out over our lovely city. Rotting foliage litters the streets, and rather than using my car's windshield wipers to remove rain, I use them to scatter the leaves that cover my car from time to time. Ironically enough, as I'm typing, rain is painting the windowpanes just beyond my desk, and the birds that were on my deck just a few moments ago have fled for coverage to the trees that will protect them more effectively against the watery onslaught.

Even worse, now, is that the rain has turned to a sort of strange snow-hail mixture, and the flakes are desperately trying to survive their encounter with the asphalt of the parking lot. Goodbye summer...

I have the day off, and I'm slightly bored. I know there are probably things that I could be doing, but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting to them. I could be putting together short story units in case I get a job. I could be organizing my eight million binders and folders from my practicum last year (that still reside in my office closet, untouched.... well, other than to be moved to get at luggage). I could be returning our late videos to the video store or reading or something. But, I choose to be a lump in front of the TV and computer for the timebeing. The idea of a nap lingers nearby... maybe this afternoon. Maybe I should surprise K with flowers at work when I meet her for lunch. Maybe.

I find that when I'm really busy, that I find time to do things that I neglect when I have an endless number of free time. I'm also usually more tired when it comes to having days off... I need to plan in order to get stuff done.

Okay, enough of this mindless droning... I think I'm just trying to fill space since, other than this week's postings, I've been neglecting this less-than-artistic outlet for rants and other such musings. And I just hate the fact that I'm not working today. Bah... working on call and not getting a call is not fun. I guess it's in my power to change that, so, off I go. Until again...

T

No comments: