Thursday, September 07, 2006

Catharsis

I realized that after my 1/2 hour yelling match with Telus' terrible CS reps, and writing about it on here, I was able to calm down through the process of yelling, writing, and watching mindless TV for 20 minutes. I calmed down a bit, anyway. I finally talked to the manager, and although I'm still getting screwed, it's not nearly as bad as it was before. I got it out of my system though, and it's probably good that it happened before I arrived at school to deal with 15 year olds all day.

Speaking of which, I'm officially a student teacher. I haven't started any of the actual teaching stuff yet, but I've already begun my prep, met a tonne of teachers, been invited to the welcome back socials, figured out when ball tryouts are (I'll be coaching), and claimed the beautiful yellow and brown plaid couch that resides in the humanities department prep room as my own. Although my classes changed completely yet again (this is round number 3), I've got the schedule worked out, at least until February. I'm teaching one English class and one Socials class. Still, it's looking like I'm settling in there tolerably well, and so far I haven't alienated anyone. I guess you actually have to DO something or say something beyond "Yes, I did an English degree on the coast before coming into the program... no, not from B.C.... I'm an Alberta boy... my wife's looking for work right now, and she's really confident about finding something right away... I'm really excited about being at this school" before you alienate anyone.

The house is mostly unpacked, my internet and phone are hooked up, I went for a run yesterday for the first time in weeks, and it's been over 30 degrees all week. I guess I really don't have too much to complain about.

- T

1 comment:

Leah said...

sounds pretty good, t. I've been thinking about your experience these past couple of days as I am still trapped in the halls at UVIC, seven hours of class straight per day etc etc. It's fun, but it's not really real yet. I hope you're having a great, not-too-stressful time!