Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I think I may be a control freak...

I spend time in practice, and I nearly go bananas. I really don't like to be interrupted, and sometimes, even oftentimes, this happens. Some talk right through explanations, have trouble following directions, and just tend to ignore me at a variety of points. It kinda makes me want to blow my top. So what happens? They run. Laps, lines, suicides, and the like. Then they get another chance. Blow it? They run again. "Can we do jump serves coach?" Not a chance. They do it anyway? They run. "This drill is stupid" they say.... run again. One thing I have to remember: kids are there to have fun while learning. I think I sometimes lose this perspective when I'm struggling to get them to work hard. I don't want to be a tyrant, but I still think that my other coach and I need to maintain our control over everyone.

Classes can go this way too... I've been talking to my own sponsor teachers and other teachers about what to do about this (interruptions and the like), and they all have their own management techniques. It's a little overwhelming, to be honest, trying to figure out who I am and how I can carry this out. But I guess I just have to learn how to control interruptions and distractions and other such things my own way while following school policy. I knew from the beginning that this was going to be how it was... I knew I was going to struggle with classroom management. I just didn't think it would keep me up at night and frustrate me like it sometimes does. I guess I know how my parents felt when I was lazy or disrespectful as a kid. Karma's no fun when it's whoopin' your behind.

I guess you really have to put out small fires before a big one erupts. "If you give them an inch...". I give people chances in every aspect of my life, but I still have a backbone, and I'm not afraid to show it.

- T

1 comment:

Leah said...

So! Kids really do throw chalk. They keep telling us that in class, but I thought, naw, they're just trying to scare us.
Yikes! Worst nightmare. Chalk throwing.
On another note, I finally found out yesterday where I am going for my practicum - Chemainus! You think they could put me a little closer to home. I guess they think I really like my car.
Good Luck! Tell me how you conquer the situation so that I can deal with it head on when it's my turn.