Thursday, February 15, 2007

First Friday of the week

The weekend is coming and it couldn't be soon enough.

It seems like this week has been dragging on. Much of that has to do with the fact that I had my coaching clinic all weekend, which didn't really provide me with an opportunity to get some much-needed rest. It was actually moderately stressful, since I wasn't sure if I was in over my head or not. Nonetheless, I'm excited that the weekend is here as of 4:00pm today. Tomorrow being a PD Day, I'm heading out to the mountains for a seminar on BC's forestry industry, which should be enjoyable. Outdoors, free lunch, no students to worry about... la dolce vita, I'd say.

On a somewhat related but otherwise unrelated topic, I hate being overtired. Interestingly, I act similarly when I'm either tired or really hungry, which means I manifest a serious attitude of jerkface. I can definitely be pleasant, but it's pretty easy to set me off in a negative direction and I've been known to, from time to time, take my fatigued bitterness out on those around me. Not typically at work or with friends, but usually on family. Why is it that we (or more specifically, I) direct antagonism toward those we really love, and not strangers? I don't know if everyone's like this, but I definitely am. I can be upbeat and chipper (maybe in a false way, but chipper nonetheless) to a total stranger, even if they anger me, but when I get home and I'm in a bit of a mood, I take it out on K or other family members far too easily. This has pretty much always been a character fault of mine, and I really hate it. At the time I lash out, I can justify my anger 6 different ways, but give me 10 seconds to think about it, and I realize that I just treated the love of my life like a piece of rubbish. I guess that's why it's love... these important people stick around even after you treat them like an enemy.

You may be picking up on a tone of guilt, which may or may not be the case. Still, I hate this fault. I was actually talking to one of my intern compadres about something similar, and mentioned that I'm terrible at disengaging when it comes to arguments. It gets even worse when I need to catch on my beauty sleep. I guess we all have our battles... this is just one of my most obvious ones.

On a much more unrelated note, K and I watched "The Departed" last night and I have to say that I loved it. Sure, it may be a bit on the violent side and the actors drop the F-bomb like there's going to be a massive lockdown on profanity in mainstream media, but it was extremely well put together and I always appreciate a good Shakespeare reference which makes sense when it's used and isn't just thrown in as an attempt to make the writing seem more intelligent. Rent it. Seriously. Rent it.

- T

4 comments:

Kirk Schmidt said...

You haven't experienced Shakespeare until you've heard it in the original Klingon:
taH pagh taHbe'

On that note, the Departed was a really good movie... But Star Trek VI has the best placed Shakespeare quotes!

Leah said...

okay. will!
Also: I thought my dad was the only one who said "jerkface" (usually while in the car)

Anonymous said...

I went to the Departed with my Aunt (she's very opened minded and liberal and doesn't mind seeing a movie filled with copious amounts of killing! Haha I made a funny COPius... and cops get killed... oh dear I'm tired.) Anyways, I'm thinking of buying it. Some very good character performances in that film. Remind me what the Shakespeare quote was and the context...

Dimsumthing said...

The quote was, "The readiness is all", and I think it was said by Martin Sheen's character. There was also a quote from Hawthorne that was pinpointed, and the response was, "Hawthorne? Don't you know any Shakespeare?". Made it that much better! I have to say that Alec Baldwin's character was by far my favorite... so damned funny!

- TM