Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Randomness and the start of a new month

It's over. However, I feel a little strange now that the obligation to post is gone.

Lately, I’ve felt like I’ve been sucked into a strange bizzaro-world. This may be a bit of an inaccurate way to describe life as of late, but I’m definitely experiencing some randomness. I won’t get into it all, but I will share a few really brief stories (if, in fact, I’m capable of such a thing)…

I didn’t get a call for work yesterday. Although I hate not working, I’ve been feeling the very early warnings of a cold lingering in my nose and chest, so I was okay with the fact that I wouldn’t have to face the germs of hundreds of hormonal teens during the peak of cold and flu season. So, home I stayed. About ten o’clock in the morning, I received a call from a lady from a number I didn’t recognize. She informed me that I had been referred to her by The City’s office as a contact for trapping a troublesome animal.

"Sorry? What were you calling about?" I responded. Disbelief and some giggling could both be found in the shaky nature of my voice.

"The City gave me your number. I’m calling you because I need to trap a raccoon that has been terrorizing my house, and I was told that you could come and trap it."

"Oh, sure, no problem. What’s your address? I’ll be right over. By the way, approximately how big is your raccoon?"

Okay, this isn’t how the conversation actually proceeded. In reality, I responded by laughing a hearty chuckle and saying I had absolutely no idea how the city provided my number, but I was definitely not the local trapper guy. I wished her good luck and hung up the phone.

Strange.

Also, how many people have been afflicted with inoperable windshield wipers? Well, I’ve never actually encountered anyone who has, but last week, this is exactly the part of the Hyundai that died on our car. We live in a pretty sunny place. However, western North American has been afflicted with some seriously wet weather (both rain and snow), and this has created a problem. No windshield wipers = issues. There haven't been any vehicular mishaps, but there was definitely potential yesterday.

After sitting around the house, I decided that I'd go to the gym while it wasn't raining and pick K up on the way home. There was even some blue sky, so as long as I didn't get a truckload of snow dumped on my windshield, I'd be fine. Upon leaving, I saw that it had, in fact, started raining. However, my pea-like brain thought, "You know, I could probably make it to K's work as long as I don't drive fast and stay on side roads. Windshield wipers aren't that important." Yes, I realize that I should've been struck by lightning for this comment, but in my naivety, I left anyways.

The parking lot portion of the drive was tolerable. The actual road, on the other hand??? Not so much. After about a block and a half, I slammed the button for the hazards, pulled into the Superstore parking lot, and started dialing people to rescue me. Luckily, a buddy of mine came by, picked me up, took me to NAPA to pick up the new wiper motor, picked up K and we both got a ride home. I learned a lot from this experience. The main thing: Don't be stupid when it comes to windows and rain. Period.

Although some small adjustments need to be made tomorrow, the new wiper motor is in and the wipers are again functional. All's well. I also won another Florida vacation (according to a telephone call)... but, I think that I'll pass on another free trip because who would really want to leave MY apartment? It's pretty wonderful in all it's whitewashed glory. Insert tongue in cheek.

T

1 comment:

Leah said...

hee hee! Very funny, t!