Sunday, December 09, 2007

Welcome weekend (and a countdown to Christmas)

K and I just walked in from the gym. It's been approximately two weeks since we've actually done a lot of core and weight work, so today was our day to get in there and flex the pecs and abs and see if we could get back on the train. Even though I was panting throughout the routine, we made it through without any injuries and actually did most of the stuff we would typically do, so I guess that means it wasn't a total loss.

In reality, making it to the gym at all on a Sunday is a victory in itself.

I didn't work very much this week, but it seemed tiring nonetheless. I've been fighting off the early stages of a cold for about 8 days now, and even though it hasn't become much worse, it hasn't improved a massive amount and it's kinda taking away from my energy. I did two days at the end of the week for a teacher I've been in for a number a times, and I absolutely love teaching her class... her kids are really great, they respond really well to me, and they're never really high maintenance. Still... I was exhausted when I left yesterday. I found out some really interesting job-related stuff at the end of the day, but I'm going to postpone any discussion about work opportunities until I actually hear something concrete that goes beyond intention and gossip.

K and I have been keeping busy for the most part. We had her staff Christmas party at a really nice hotel last week, and we went out to see a friend of ours play (he's in a two-man band and is a phenomenal guitar player) at a local pub this past Friday. We also saw another band called the Hot Chochies, who play a sort of surfer-rock that seem to be inspired from both Sublime and the artists who sang "Wipeout", who were really good. I am now officially finished with my fall rec-league volleyball, but our team has registered in a tournament for next weekend, and I'm coaching at our local club team tryouts for about 4 hours later this afternoon. Then, K and I are heading to Salmon Arm on Wednesday Night to attend a play at the Caravan Farm Theatre... they're peforming King Lear, which I've never seen live. It's also an interesting venue for the winter shows... you're put on horse-drawn carriages and pulled around to different locations where the scenes are performed. I saw a performance of the Tell-Tale Heart last year with some students from my old sponsor school, and it was wonderful. That, and free hot chocolate... what could be better?

And work has been great lately... I keep meeting a tonne of awesome teachers at various schools (one of whom I'll be working with for my club coaching this year and who will be an awesome mentor), the kids are still really great (I had two students who knew I was teaching for their regular teacher on Thursday and Friday who left notes for me saying that they were disappointed that they'd miss me! I also had one who was late for class, who knew I was in, and bribed me with a slushie so I wouldn't put her on my very fake "Bad List"), and I am really finding myself comfortable at a number of different schools. I worried about this at the start of the year... I'm not generally that good at being a stranger in a new environment, and I absolutely loved my sponsor school last year during my practicum and didn't think I'd find another place I'd love as much, so that's been reassuring.

Lastly, I'm getting really excited to head home for Christmas. It's going to be an insane amount of driving (splitting Christmas between families is always an adventure)... I think we'll probably be in the car for approximately 30-35 hours in about 10 days, which doesn't thrill me so much, but I'm just excited to see everyone and have some time to goof off. We always try to cram more stuff in every year, and this year is no exception... after heading back to Alberta for about a week, we're trying to make it out to the Island for a few days to see some family and friends back there. Yes, this means more driving. But, gotta see 'em... it's been far too long, and the ocean is calling my name.

T

No comments: