Thursday, March 13, 2008

Six weeks down (started about 2 weeks ago)

The teaching profession features (what seems like) few victories and many defeats. On certain days, no matter how many decent everyday kids are performing tolerably well in the class, one or two students can make a teacher feel completely hopeless and ineffective. I had one of thsee days recently, and wish I could rid myself of them altogether. I came home restless, and couldn't sleep... the whole night, I was dreaming of being constantly and overwhelmingly frustrated by confrontational and defiant attitudes and a complete refusal to work.

Such things are frustrating for the very fact that the minority generally spoil things for the rest of the decent kids. Many days, I realize that I need to be in control of my emotions and deal with everything with a cool head. Sometimes, though, it's difficult.

Beyond these generally minor troubles, the majority of my kids/classes have been quite good. I've definitely been able to convert a number of former Shakespeare-haters and turned them into lovers of The Bard. Now, I'm hoping that I can take credit for some of this, but that may not be the case. Regardless, it makes me happy.

These first six weeks have stormed by, and now the long haul to June begins. We just got back from two weeks of holidays, and I'm already exhausted. The worst part is, I know I won't be catching up on my sleep anytime soon. I'm stretching myself thin, and I feel as though a breaking point is coming soon. It's not like it's the first time I've felt this way, but at least I'm not panicked... yet, anyway.

Coaching is winding down, and a new season of rec-league volleyball is about to begin. I still have two more tournaments to coach (one of which I may bail on), and the end can't seem to come soon enough. I also signed up for a new trail-running training clinic that is prepping us for a mini-ultra trail race here in the sunny Okanagan in June. It's a 25k race through the hills and trees on hiking trails... and although I've never run in anything more than a 10k, I figured it would be a great way to get ready for the 1/2 marathon I was planning to race in the fall... have I gone a bit overboard? Methinks, well... maybe.

So, between teaching, coaching, running, and playing volleyball (oh yeah, I have a wife too), I'm definitely doing too much. Something's gotta give and it might be my sanity (or my marking load!)... if only I can get through the coaching, I may make it... the rest seems manageable. Three weeks seems like a long time from now, though. Lord help me...

T

No comments: