Friday, June 19, 2009

The only

The only things that follow me home
These days
Are shadows and fallen leaves
Blowing and tumbling down the sidewalk
As my feet stamp stamp the pavement
In the dark.

Some have found my clip-clop, right-left wanderings home
In the evening 
Strange
And slightly sad.

But I'm more morose when I find myself in cars
Rushing home after the music has stopped
And climbing into bed before the ringing 
Has subsided.

I walk to indulge in the tin-ny sounds 
Echoing in my ears after an all-night indulgence
Of symphonic beats and strums
Of stringed guitars
And music bars.

I walk to prolong what felt so, so right
Before it all went deeply wrong.

I guess this isn't about the music anymore.

I just know that I don't want to fall asleep quite yet
Unless I have someone breathing beside me
And I don't want to fall away quite yet
Until I know I'm not alone.

I haven't touched the lights switches in my new apartment tonight
Because if I did
I'd know that it's time for teeth to be brushed
And contacts to be taken out
And for socks to be strewn down the hall on my way to my bedroom
So that I can begin my every-eve routine of blankets and pillows
And tossing and turning and prayers for sleep to come
Alone.

No.

I want to keep my head swimming 
In the tick tick tick tick of the high hat
And the sometimes dissonant sounds coming from the stage
While the movement and hands and lights that threaten to pull me in.

Don't let sleep come quite yet... I'm just not ready.

Just a few more sounds and a few more whispers 
And a few more claps 
To break the silence as I tap tap tap
My way to dreamless sadness.

T

No comments: