Thursday, December 10, 2009

Trying

There's a million steps behind me
These shoes, they're wearing down
But I can't help looking back
Wondering if you're coming 'round

I've left the door open during winter
And the windows open through the rain
I keep checking the mailbox for your letters
But the postman tells me, "Nothing came."
When I tell you that I want you
To be the one making that call
It's because I'm just too tired
And the thing keeping me up is my back against the wall.

I keep moving forward like I told you
I keep trudging though the muck
Thinking maybe you'll walk right through that open door
And maybe experience just a little bit of luck

Stop telling yourself that you're letting me
Get on with my distant life
You gotta start fighting for me and taking chances
If you want to end the strife

I've been the one who writes you letters
And sure, you often reply
But if you want real hope, you'll put pen to paper
And show me that you're ready to try.
TM

No comments: