Sunday, May 14, 2006

Another kind of beautiful

Every once in a while, I'm struck by a touch of something I can only describe as somewhat surreal. I'll be in my car, on my way to a jobsite here in Calgary, and I'll get really distracted after looking west over the city from a hill or bridge, staring at the Rockies that rise up beyond the suburbs. For a city I've always said I'd hate to live in, maybe it isn't so bad. I used to get the same sensation in Lethbridge from time to time... I'd be driving on a street I'd driven a thousand times before, and suddenly, it was different. The view had changed into something else. And then it was the same again. Maybe it was my perspective, maybe just me... but still, things had changed, if only for a moment. I'm starting to experience that again. I ran into some old friends back home when I went to visit my parents, specifically a girl I had gone to school with from kindergarten, and after talking with her for about 10 minutes, she just seemed different. She hadn't really changed in appearence, but something had definitely been altered. Then before I left, she seemed the same. Something in the room had shifted for only a few seconds, but I always wonder what it may have been. Maybe it's not something to be referred to in the past-tense... maybe it's something like "what it may be".

The world's a funny place, and if you stop long enough to look around, it might just be a touch different than it was a moment ago.

-T

1 comment:

Leah said...

v. nice, T.M. You've put it in words perfectly.