Friday, August 25, 2006

Pub Crawling through the ghetto

I guess I forgot all about the Education Celebration Pub Crawl that took place this past Monday!!! I organized the event as a way of having a gong-show oriented send-off for all the Ed students who are scattering to various schools around BC for their practicums (myself included, of course). So the plan was to meet up at a pub near the Gorge Vale Golf club, then to head back down the Gorge toward downtown. We dressed up in white t-shirts that were gradually decorated with Sharpie pens with various levels of stupid written all over. I also rolled up my jeans to show off my sweet Canada socks that K bought for me for my b-day. There were drink specials at every stop, and when you have a group of about 25 semi-hammed University students walking down the road on a bit of an adventure, you're always going to have a good time.

About 8 of us met at the bus depot at the Uni to travel together, and met up with another 8 or 10 at the pub. After spending about half an hour there, we moved on to Stop #2, also known as my former workplace, and had a shooter or two and a beer or two before heading on to Stop #3. Stop #3 was the sketchiest place on the tour and the main competition for my former workplace. We ran into a couple of regulars from Fats who bought me a beer, and I gave the waitress shit for bailing on her shift last weekend when I was working and stranded without a waitress. I think she also bought me a drink, which made the forgetting of the incident a little easier. Stop #4 was a little more strange... strange because there were already a couple of people inside, but the door was locked when we showed up. Since we weren't in the mood to stand around and Stop #5 was waiting patiently for us up the road (and there was as a Timmy Ho's right in front of us!), we kept on truckin' and left the people who actually got IN to Stop #4 behind.

After a quick doughnut (I don't even know who bought it for me!), we arrived at #5 (which I also worked at previously) and got some more drinks. It was definitely quiet there, so after learning that one of our fellow education students was playing in a Police Cover Band downtown, off we went. I think there may have been another bus involved to get there, and we arrived in time to see Sam play. I'm not going to lie... I'm not a huge Police fan, but he did a pretty good job and their singer was pretty much a bang-on imitation.

Sam finished his set, and we decided to make one more stop. We were planning on heading to a place called Lucky Bar for 90's night, but with a lineup out to the street, we changed plans and went to a 19 year old hoochie hangout called the Boom Boom Room. It reminded me of my younger days in Lethbridge, going to a basement club there called Nexus. It wasn't much different than back home, which was kinda fun but kinda weird at the same time. I don't go out much any more, so it was fun to relive those more stupid times :)

Then I met Darth Vader. Downtown. At the "ghetto slice" 99 cent pizza joint. He tried to talk to me, but I don't speak Vader-ese, so I just sat there with a dumb grin on my face, laughing and asking him how his night was. It was pretty sweet. And just before we were going to start walking home, we found a guy from class who had been driving around for an hour trying to find us, and he gave a car-load of us a ride home.

I hit my bed after some water and some multi-vitamins and an advil, and slept like the dead until the next morning. K decided to stay at her friend's place since she didn't really want to come out and be stupid with us, which was okay. Sean stayed over and had a nap on the futon so he didn't have to drive back out to Colwood. I was a little headachey the next day, but I'm here to tell the story. It was definitely a good time.

3 comments:

Kirk Schmidt said...

If you only knew the power of the pub crawl.

Dimsumthing said...

Like I said, it was a pretty fabulous time! Take care Kirk...

- T

Leah said...

Sorry I missed it!