Sunday, October 29, 2006

Yet another Sunday

And there's little to talk about.

I've just been musing a lot lately. Thinking about people in the past, what they may be doing now, what they think I'm up to... wondering how things would be if I made a different decision about travelling or moving to BC or even pursuing English as a degree. Who I would've met, how things would've changed.

It just seems like some days fly by, where moments stand still. I know that there is a far more complex explanation to Einstein's theory of relativity.... however, the analogy of a hot stove/burning hand and the time spent in the company of a beautiful woman makes perfect sense. Pain can be drawn out too, and a difficult moment can be made to last a lifetime if handled with narcissism or angst or impatience. And uneventful experiences can simply slip by, to be lost in some sort of subconscious abyss.

I've been thinking about this occupation of teaching a great deal lately as well. For instance, whether or not I'm cut out for it, the extensive number of skills and talents that need to along with it (in order to be successful), the dedication and skill it takes to be good at it, the fact that certain things are simply innate and others have to be practiced incessantly... the fact that it's exhausting, and rewarding, and stressful.

Still, I've been told a couple things that I seem to have forgotten since I've become so bogged down with prep and marking and prep and marking... that we're here for the students... to make them into better people, better readers/writers/feelers, into thinkers, into adults. And it's the students that we're doing this for. If you like being around them, then everything else will come. I'm hoping this is the case, because sometimes I just don't know if I have what it takes (organization, work ethic, etc.). I've also been told that the two hardest things to "learn" are rapport and classroom management. Although the latter of these two still needs some work, I'm doing okay in the first department. Now, I just have to learn how to teach.

But, I have the rest of my career to figure that out. Now I guess I should just learn how to deal with limited time and limited sleep. And what I'm going to do tomorrow for class.

Stealing from Riverbend's blog...

"I'll meet you 'round the bend my friend, where hearts can heal and souls can mend"

- T

No comments: