Monday, September 10, 2007

Touching words...

Since I started writing on here, I've been following a few blogs that I have listed in my links section. Although her writing has been sporadic because of the chaos in Iraq, "Riverbend" (as she is known) was writing about finally leaving Baghdad. She wrote this, and I thought the sentiment was particularly touching. We forget that in our anaesthetized world much exists beyond our borders, and it's seems so rare that we actually think about things that exist outside our worldview. If you want to read more, go here.

"I cried as we left- in spite of promises not to. The aunt cried… the uncle cried. My parents tried to be stoic but there were tears in their voices as they said their goodbyes. The worst part is saying goodbye and wondering if you’re ever going to see these people again. My uncle tightened the shawl I’d thrown over my hair and advised me firmly to ‘keep it on until you get to the border’. The aunt rushed out behind us as the car pulled out of the garage and dumped a bowl of water on the ground, which is a tradition- its to wish the travelers a safe return… eventually."

- T

No comments: