Monday, January 21, 2008

Dreams that wake

Over the past week or so, I've been afflicted with something I am rarely affected by: dreams.

I do know about psychological research which states that all people dream... it's only those who wake up in the middle of a dream whom ever recall their dreams. Lately, though, I've recalled more than one dream in an evening, which means that I've been waking up in the middle of said dream, which also means I haven't been sleeping soundly for a number of nights. All this filters down to the fact that I'm tired. I've definitely been in bed for a reasonable number of hours each night... I just haven't had the satisfaction of a deep sleep recently, which generally makes me a bit grouchy and touchy and easily distracted.

I was in today at my soon-to-be work location for a teacher I've been in for a couple of times. Her kids generally know me and know what kind of guy I am, but few know when I've been a donkey on the edge (due to my poor slumber experiences as of late). Well, needless to say, a few were acquainted with this version of Mr. M. I just find my patience fleeing out the window as I move through the paces of the day. I guess this is one of my most obvious downfalls as a teacher... my lack of patience that seems to make itself apparent when I don't have a full night's rest.

On a school related (but non-sleep related) note, I'm getting back into listening to interviews on
CBC radio watching poetry slam performances on YouTube. I heard about a guy who is apparently from the Okanagan Valley who'd won a few slam poetry competitions who was a graduate of a local high school. So, being intrigued, I looked it up, and so should you. His name is Shane Koyczan and he's won a number of poetry competitions around North America... CLICK HERE to take a look at one of his earlier performances... really good stuff.

Another one I think you should all watch is by Talib Kweli from the Def Jam Poetry performances also found on YouTube. Go HERE to see him perform one of his poems. For now, adios...

T

No comments: