Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I'm Alberta bound...

Funny how you build up hopes sometimes and they get completely dashed. But other times, you limit your excitement about an event and everything works out wonderfully. I'm taking a position with a well-known student painting company in Calgary for the next month as a supervisor/trainer. As explained previously, my old boss (now a GM in Winnipeg) called up and offered me a trainer/supervisor position in Calgary, and after squaring it with K and the bosses at the pub, it looks like I'm running away for the next 4 weeks to Cowtown! I talked to my uncle and I've got a place to crash while I'm there, and K's parents are lending me a vehicle for the time I'm around, as well as housing me for my first few nights in town. My parents already said they come up for a visit and I'm gonna have lots of work to keep me busy. They're flying me out there, paying me $14/hour with a potential bonus, and giving me all the work I can handle. Strange how life gives these random opportunities from time to time... and I only have 3 months of experience painting!!!

This, however, leads to a ridiculously busy next 6 weeks. I fly to Calgary Thursday night, stay in Airdrie, start work Friday morning, work through the weekend and all the way until May 23rd. After this last day, I fly to Kelowna to meet K and her mom at a hotel they have booked, attend my placement school's 3 day orientation, visit my cousins and aunt and uncle in Peachland in the meantime, then drive back to Victoria for the 27th so I can work at the pub that night and the following night. Then, on Monday, my cousin from Austria is coming to visit, I start my classes for education on June 1st (that same Thursday), and my Austrian cousin leaves Friday. I think I might need a nap when this is all over... or a beer... or maybe some sort of inventive combination of the two. Well, just like every summer, bring on the busy-ness! This is all part of my love-hate relationship with post semester summers... crazy busy. But, as always, no rest for the somewhat-but-not-completely-wicked.

-T

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to visit someone else.

Which, in a less cryptic way is: "We need to have a beer." Call me sometime when you get here. 403-510-2888

-Kirk

Anonymous said...

Will you have any time at all for your old pals in the land of oil? I'm (with luck) going to be in Calgary before too long... Also, you might want to chat with our friend Steven Peters about a bit of a roadtrip to Edmonton. I have an awfully nice floor for you to sleep on (and I live above a put). CALL ME!

Anonymous said...

Oops, that last one was me.

Jodie

Anonymous said...

Oops, and I mean "pub."

Jodie

Leah said...

Have fun!

Dimsumthing said...

Hey guys!

Kirk, I'll definitely try to get in touch. When I get settled in, I'll drop you a line.

Jod, I'll be contacting you too... not sure if I'll have time to make it up to E-town, but I'll keep you posted.

Leah, thanks for the well wishes... your pictures are WONDERFUL! Take care and I'll see you in June.

-T

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are making it back to God's land.

Glad to hear things are going well, I think last time I chatted with you was at the Turbo in West Lethbridge. Anyways, cheers!