Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New songs in my IPod...

Over the past few months, I've been adding a variety of new music to my IPod. It's quite varied, and because of this, the music I put on definitely depends on the mood I'm in.

Last night, on recommendation of a friend, I acquired some blues music from a musician named Harry Manx. Now, he's been around for decades, but from what I can tell, his music is seeing a bit of a renaissance. He played a show recently here in the Valley, and friends in attendance said it was wonderful. Typically, I never turn down live music so I'm disappointed that I didn't attend, and this was even more so the case when I actually listened to his music.

It's fantastic. He blends soulful southern blues with the sounds of India (by way of his acoustic slide guitar manipulations), and his voice is strong and pure. I absolutely love it, and you should too. You need to go here to see a performance on YouTube... you won't be disappointed.

I've also added music ranging from Everlast and Jay-Z, to John Coltrane and Ella Fitzgerald, to Lily Allen and Jack Johnson. I think I even have a song or two by the Dixie Chicks. I've definitely stepped away from the louder, more intense tunes of my youth as my main listening interests, even though my youth is, in reality, still here and I still have a quite glorious collection of 90's rock and alternative tunes on there. But, overall my tastes have mellowed, and I definitely enjoy more of the jazz and blues music that I always liked but never pursued. I think part of my soul lives in Louisiana... not only because of my love for the music, but my taste for spicy food and catfish too.

T

No comments: