Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Finding home in a new environment

It hasn't quite been a week since day one of the new job, but I'm still here.

So far, the experience has been great (don't worry... I'm rapping my knuckles on the wood of my desk as I type with one hand). The kids have responded really well, and they've settled into my routines without any issues. I've started organizing my materials as well as I can, while trying to learn at least two or three new names every day... this is always an uphill battle, but it's coming slowly but surely.

In the days leading up to my first official day, I spent a great deal of time going through materials of the teacher I was more or less replacing. He'd been in the district for decades, and had compiled a massive amount of materials over the years. Class copies of previous provincial exams from the early 90's, grammar worksheets that were still on Bible-paper-thin carbon paper with purple writing (I remember these from elementary school!), and texts that dated back to the 70's. Everything had to be either recycled or adopted by me. As it turned out, a few of the texts made the grade (notice the pun??? Get it? I'm a teacher??? ;) ), but a ridiculous amount of paper was recycled that didn't even get perused. There was just too much stuff, and to start fresh, I needed to embrace the "out with the old" mentality. I'd guess that there were hundreds of pounds of old photocopies that met their maker throughout the week. Sad... but we all have an end of the line.

The room is starting to feel like home. The geography of the class has changed to suit me a bit better, the old posters are off the walls, and the cupboards are starting to get filled with my own books and binders and materials. My desk feels like mine... or, at least most of it does. And I get to come back to the same kids consistently for the next few months. Although that will almost definitely get tiresome, there's a good feeling that goes along with knowing your environment and where you'll be going every day.

The teachers at this school have been super-supportive, as has administration. Everyone seems like their willing to lend an ear or a hand with whatever I need, and it's made the transition form TOC to Mr. M a really easy one to make. I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it's work I'm looking forward. For the first time in this new career path, I have a place to call my own. In the general scheme of life, isn't that what we're all looking for?

"Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration."
~Charles Dickens

-T

No comments: