Thursday, July 10, 2008

Coastal living

I'm officially out on the coast to work for the summer. Actually, I've been out for nearly two weeks, but there's no need to get caught up in the details. I'm here, and the weather is gorgeous and the ocean I miss so much is still here, so I shouldn't complain.

I'm back painting/training with the student painting company I've worked for in the past. Things have been going tolerably well, but I'm still having trouble hitting my groove. I think I'm just perpetually obsessive about getting things right, and in this line of piece-rate work, that's not really the best trait to have... financially speaking, anyways.

It's been fun living with SW and his lady... pretty chill, and there's always someone around to have a beer with. I'm still worried that I'm intruding into their world and throwing a wrench into the gears, but there have been enough interruptions that I don't think they're getting overwhelmed. I was gone last weekend and am leaving again on Tuesday, and by the time I get back they're going to be leaving for SE Asia after that for a month. Thus, just when they get all topped up with TM, off I go or off they go.

It's been a bit of a rough week and a half. After learning about my lack of work for September, I came out here to learn a few short days in that my grandfather passed away. So the following Friday (last week) I flew back to the prairies for the funeral and to spend time with the fam. That, along with the fact that work has been pretty "meh" so far and the fact that KM is a long way away makes it tough to be out here. Someone's always home, but I'm still feeling a bit lonely and sad at times.

Still, though, when I feel the ocean breeze on a sunny day and I don't fall off a ladder and I get a phone call from KM and there's beer in the fridge after a long day in the heat, life's not all that bad. It could definitely get worse, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

Until again, loyal readers (hi to both of you!),

T

No comments: