Sunday, November 26, 2006

Bienvenue a l'hiver

I think that's the French translation. Maybe if Erin stops by she can verify my linguistic (in)abilities.

It's pretty much been snowing non-stop for 24 hours. I think there were short stints of clarity, but this is the most snow I've seen in about 4 years. I'm definitely a prairie boy at heart, but after living on the coast for 3 years and moving out to the Okanagan, this is the first real chunk of winter I've seen since I was back living at home in the 4-0-3.

It was actually quite beautiful yesterday. Movie-scene snowflakes were falling everywhere, gather in neat little piles on window ledges and tree branches. Dogs donned cute little sweaters and people were brushing off their cars as if it was an enjoyable novelty. I'm sure they were thinking, "It's not too cold out... maybe this whole winter thing isn't too bad after all!" Well, they probably thought this until they got back into their houses, turned on the weather channel and noticed that Tuesday is supposed to see a high of -14 degrees. MINUS 14!!! I moved away from Alberta for a few reasons, one of them being that there was actually WINTER! I sure don't think my walk to the bus tomorrow morning is going to be too enjoyable. At all.

Maybe if K gets a job that pays $100k per year, we can actually afford to go out to the coast and fly back regularly to Alberta to visit. Who am I kidding... neither of us are going to be able to do such a thing anytime soon. Unless our numbers come through on the lotto. I guess that means I should buy a ticket more than once a year.

My first-term summative report is happening this coming Friday for my practicum, so wish me luck. It's only causing a moderate amount of stress, since I'm more worried about figuring out some interesting activities to teach Canadian Confederation on Tuesday and Thursday and get through the rest of my unit lessons before December 22nd. Oh joy, oh bliss... C'est la vie.

- T

1 comment:

Leah said...

minus 3 here, T, minus 6 with windchill. Tomorrow the rumour is that it will minus 11! Pretty close to 14... But the snow is worth it - and I'm actually getting outside with the cooler weather, which seems anti-intuitive, but there it is.