Thursday, November 02, 2006

And the season comes to an end...

Our volleyball team finished the final game of their season last night. During the day, I expected this to be our last game, since I sort of expected to lose. Not a great way to look at things, but I'm a realist at heart. They could've beat this team, but considering they don't play their best ball, well, any of the time, I shouldn't be surprised that they didn't come out flying in their final game either. All week I was looking forward to this game, since I knew it would be the last. I wouldn't have to worry about practices or games or tournaments or tracking down players when they miss a match or forget their gear for a game. I was just excited that I might be able to spend some time with K.

The referee's whistle blew the end of the final point, the players returned to their end lines, and we brought the guys in for a round of cheers for the other team. We shook hands with players, coaches, referees, and left the court. I made a brief final speech about being proud of them and was thanked by the players that attended the game, as well as the parents who came in support. I put my jacket on, rode the bus home, and watched some TV.

But I walked away with a little sadness. Not all of the guys made the final game due to Take Your Kid To Work Day commitments, and one of our players refused to show up out of spite (since I kicked him out of practice the previous day). And we lost a game I know we could've one. And I knew that we were done, and I wouldn't be able to coach this team anymore. And I was a little bit melancholy, being it was the end of my first coaching endeavour. I've really enjoyed coaching, playing around teaching the guys some skills, and just getting to know a group of boys who will be men in a few more years. Sure, I'll see them at school and we'll probably have a little season-ending wind-up, but it's done. It seems like a tidy little package on paper... a very clean beginning which is all wrapped up at a distinct end with a bow on the top.

Why doesn't it feel that tidy and distinct?

- T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first season, Coach Mrak! I'm sure there will be many more to come, it's just a question of where!