Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I think I'll get to sleep on Sunday

Lately I haven't been sleeping well. Particularly last night, I think the rush and stress related to this last push before Christmas holidays has made me restless and actually caused quite a mediocre day for me in the mood department. If you look at the day's events, it would've seemed like a wonderful day. But I simply couldn't enjoy it, even though I tried. I arrived on time, starting working first thing in the morning, and I didn't have to teach. I had a chance to hang out for lunch with some of the other teachers, had a good chat with one of my fellow interns, received a free dinner during our staff meeting, got some stuff done at the house, and was sleeping before 11pm. Seems successful, no? But I was feeling this miserable anxiety through almost the whole day, and I couldn't shake it. I really questioned the success of my first term, and was frustrated with the progress in my SS class, since they weren't nearly as far as I think they should have been. I felt cynical and bitter and didn't really have any plausible reason for it.

But, today is a new day. And I brought cookies.

On the bright side, Christmas holidays start on Friday afternoon at approximately 2pm. I'm giving a test in the first half of the afternoon class, and we have a school-wide assembly after that at 2pm, so I'll officially be done with the teaching thing when the assembly starts. And then it's back to Alberta on Saturday! I'm really excited, and it sounds like I'll be able to sleep in and be lazy for a good part of Sunday. It's gonna be blissful.

And just a plug for a Canadian musician... if you haven't heard Sarah McLachlan's new Christmas album, you should... I thought it was wonderful. I had dinner over at one of my sponsor teacher's houses two nights ago and they had it playing in the background. It's sombre, but it's beautiful music.

- T

No comments: