Friday, December 22, 2006

Mixed emotions on the final day before holidays

I woke up this morning tired as hell. I haven't slept a tonne lately, and I got to bed later than I was hoping last night. There's so much to do before going back home for Christmas that it seems like we're always puttering until we're well past the need for sleep.

But I walked into the school this morning with mixed feelings. I'm really excited that I don't have much to do for today, and that I'm on holidays as of 3:19pm this afternoon. I have some small tokens of appreciation for my sponsor teachers, and I brought some cookies for the staff. But I'm getting kinda sad... I don't teach any of these kids again after today, and even though a number of them have pushed my buttons and provided a very good foundation for many decades of ulcers, I really enjoy coming here in the morning. I really like getting to know the students and trying to get them interested in what I'm teaching. I try to make fun of myself enough so that they can feel at ease. And I did get to know a few of them really well, and it definitely sucks that I have to say goodbye to teaching them. I know I'll see them in the new year, since I'm around until June, but unless I get a job here, I won't teach them again. And 99% of them are students I want to teach again.

Not to mention it's Christmas, and since I moved away from home, I become really sentimental when Christmas time comes around. I become a bit of a blubbering idiot when I go back and see my families. I'm a pretty independent guy and really like doing my own thing, but I'm still close with my whole family, and sometimes it's hard being a 9 hour drive away. It's even harder when you're a ferry trip AND a 13 hour drive away.

Last night Kerrie and I also exchanged gifts, and she bought us a little resort getaway for March over Spring Break, which I'm really excited for. Those have always been my favorite gifts... nice meals at a nice restaurant, nights away at a resort, or just excuses to relax in general. We rarely ever get a chance to take the opportunities, so when they come along, I appreciate them so much more.

I hope I'll have a chance to update again before Christmas, but if I don't, I hope the 10 people who read this have a wonderful Christmas and a safe holiday season. Take care! Until again, my friends...

-T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and K! Drive safely, get some sleep and eat lots of gravy and shortbread...