Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Stuck in the wonderful Rockies...

And not just the Rockies, but the glorious town of Golden, B.C. It's actually beautiful here... the snow is slowly falling outside, everything is wearing a charming white blanket, and the town is nearly silent.

It doesn't change the fact that we're kinda-sorta stranded here until tomorrow. The roads are miserable and slippery, drivers are morons, and I'm a bit of an anxious guy when the roads are remotely terrible. Other than K's anxiety about missing work tomorrow, I think we're both in good spirits. We just returned from a quiet dinner, and our hotel room is clean, warm and has free internet. Really, things could be much worse. And I've been battling a cold for the past 2 days, so I'm glad for the rest from the road. When it takes you 4.5 hours to drive a distance that should only take 3 hours, I get a little bit stressed out.

Still, the holidays were enjoyable, except that they were far too short. We spent less than 48 hours in Lethy visiting my parents and the rest of the M family, and drove up to Airdrie to visit the in-laws for the same stint of less than 48 hours. Santa spoiled us rotten, and my big brother came up with some fantastic gifts for both K and I. Really, all the gifts were great, but J's gifts just showed a great deal of thought and sentiment, and K and I both appreciated it enormously. The worst part about these visits is that we just don't have enough time to visit with everyone. I didn't even have the chance to visit with my grandparents on my dad's side. When there's 25 people around and you only have 2 hours to see each one of them, people get missed or ignored altogether. I'm excited that next year we'll hopefully create an opportunity to see everyone for a great deal longer.

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful (actually, it's not that bad, but the roads suck)
But the [radiator] inside is delightful. (well, moderately respectable, anyway)
And since there's no place to go (except home and work)
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow (as long as it lets up and is clear driving in the morning)."

Happy holidays, all!

-T

No comments: