Sunday, November 16, 2008

Week(non)ends

Although the weekend was here, it wasn't really a weekend. To be a week"end", the week must, in some functional way, actually come to an end. But working two jobs puts me in a position where the weeks don't really end... they just continue and fade into one another. I'm now on approximately18 days of work in a row, and there's no break coming for at least two more (but will most likely be, well, next Saturday if at all).

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to throw a pity party. I'm out here in order to work as much as possible and, to a certain extent, work myself into a state of forgetfulness. I want to limit the time I have alone to myself so I don't get caught up in the world of despair that has claimed me off and on for 9 or 10 months now. It's so easy to get caught up in the messy details of trying to navigate such an emotional mine-field, and lose focus on the long-term, especially when it feels like the long-term goal may be, in fact, an ever-fleeting pipe dream. I don't allow myself to actually believe this, though, even though the feelings do happen to make an appearance from time to time.

Like I was saying, I'm not trying to indulge in self-pity... I've been very fortunate with work. Both jobs I'm working right now have been set up through personal contacts and neither employer has actually seen my resume. This doesn't generally happen, especially to me. But this year has seen fortune shine in this way. And luckily, too, I haven't let down my friends who went to bat for me and I think I've successfully shed any fears that I may be some sketchy hack that didn't actually deserve a job in the first place.

I also found out yesterday that I was offered and accepted a job that I interviewed for recently. I haven't worked in this area in any real way in, well, my entire life. But experience be damned! It pays well, should be a good amount of hours, and is something completely new to add to my employability repertoire. It's actually in the medical/micro-biology field, and for those of you who know me, you'll quickly wonder, "who the hell would offer that bookworm a LAB job?!?!" I thought the same thing myself, since the last scientific endeavour I participated in was a brief attempt at a first-year Bio class at the U of L which I promptly dropped after receiving the lowest-possible, non-failing grade available at the time... 49.5%. Scary, I know. But I like to think I'm a bit brighter these days and as long as I'm shown what to do, can pretty much carry out any basic task know to man. I think I'm trying to become the most employable guy in Canada by working and getting experience in as many different places as are available. Med school here I come? Well... lets not get ridiculous.

In other news, I'm officially finished The Book Thief, and as I expected, I was not disappointed. It was a moving book and although I didn't come out a different man, I may be a slightly better one. If you have the chance, pick it up... well worth the read for any reading level.

More words call, as I'm beginning a new book tonight. So off I run into another non-weekend-Sunday-night. Until again...

T

No comments: