Sunday, November 09, 2008

Words... words... words...

I haven't been reading it quickly, but my most recent book of interest is The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I've been reading a lot of books about stealing it seems like (considering one of the ones I read this summer was The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland).

Anyways, it's been another enjoyable foray into the world of YA Lit (or young adult lit for those not super big on acronyms... any teacher or government worker loves to indulge in the creation of acronyms, I think... it's just a really elaborate way of saying something that isn't particularly complex in the first place). I've really liked a lot of the YA books I've read in the past, and interestingly enough I have two more in the plans to read next. The next one will likely be Maus II: And Here My Troubles Began by the cartoonist Art Spiegelman, and The Lit Report by a local Victoria writer (and one of my co-workers at my new job), Sarah N. Harvey. I'm excited for both, but really want to finish The Book Thief first.

I'll say more about the content matter soon, but here's just a taste of one of the lines that has made me fall in love with the book...

"He made three separate formations that led to the same tower of dominoes in the middle. Together, they would watch everything that was so carefully planned collapse, and they would all smile at the beauty of destruction."

T

No comments: