Thursday, January 11, 2007

Quick One

Just thinking about my attitude of teaching and (as always) reflecting on what I'm doing and not doing and what I should be doing to become better at this thing I'm calling a career.

1) More planning. I've got to stop being so damn lazy and satisfying myself with the lame idea that I actually need to unwind for three hours in front of the t.v.

2) My attitude will effect how my students will react to my teaching. I've realized that I've made some mistakes in class when I bring a crappy attitude to my students. If I don't seem like I want to be there, they won't either. My attitude is directly related to the enthusiasm of my students.

3) Realizing that I'm no different than anyone else in this job. The more I talk to teachers, the more I realize that we're all introspective freaks for at least the first few years of the job. I just need to make sure I learn from the mistakes I make rather than dwelling on them and repeating them.

4) Have fun. High school students, to a certain extent, just need to be entertained a bit in order to go through the motions of school with any sort of positive outlook. Sure, this isn't universal, but it's definitely more prevalent than I realized. And I can't simply be selective about this... I have to distribute this through all of my classes.

That's all the insight for now.

- T

No comments: