Friday, January 12, 2007

Sometimes I just wish I wasn't a bonehead

Yeppers, you guessed it... I'm an idiot. Well, I don't take complete responsibility for this, but I definitely take partial responsibility.

So here's the reason why I say I'm a bonehead...

I arrived at the bus stop early this morning to head out to my sponsor school, and since the bus that heads out that way only comes about once per hour, I caught an earlier bus up to the connector at the University so I could warm up before waiting again. In all reality, I was just excited that I was early and not (as per usual) running late.

I enjoyed my ride out here to the University, drinking my coffee and taking in the scenery... the sky was clear and the sun hadn't yet woken up the city. Sure, it was -20, but it was the nicest -20 you could ask for. I waited a patient 5 minutes at the University terminal for the connector out to the school, and watched it pull up in front of me. At the same time, I reached into my jacket pocket to grab my wallet/bus pass to make sure I was fully ready for the driver. However, my pocket was strangely empty (other than an empty pack of Excel spearmint). Frantic, I frisked myself to see if I had transferred the wallet to another pocket with no success. And I didn't open up my bag on the bus so unless it was immediately behind me on the ground, I realized that it must have fallen out of my pocket and was sitting in the seat I just left a few minutes before.

Shamefully, I still walked onto the bus and told my story to the driver heading out to my sponsor school. Luckily, he's driven me on a number of occasions and other than laughing at me, he had no problem getting on the radio to contact the driver that was running back into the city with my goods. After the story was told yet again, the first driver pulled the bus over, found my wallet, and said that he would be back at the University at 8:45 and that he would hold it for me if I wanted to pick it up there. Shame, shame, T.M.

If this was another day, I probably wouldn't have been worried. But I'm supposed to be meeting one of my Term 2 sponsor teachers at the school at 9am, and I won't even get out there until the bus that stole my wallet comes back and I catch yet another connector up the road!

When things like this happen, I wonder if there's a puppet master out there pulling my strings just so other people can laugh at me. Maybe that puppet master is my own daftness. I'm not sure. What I do know is that I feel like an idiot like this somewhat regularly. Oh well, if not me than someone else, right? Well, maybe not.

- T.M.

No comments: