Friday, November 23, 2007

Fridays

Generally, they are a TOC's waking nightmare. Rambunctious kids, a short fuse, and a whole building full of people who just want a weekend. Sometimes, you just don't mind getting a call.

Today, however, didn't live up to all the dreaded expectations.

It was a good day. Yes, even at a middle school on a Friday, it was a good day. Sure, the kids were a little wonky by the end of the day, but I was able to match their energy and keep the lid on things until the bell chimed at 3:12pm. I walked away feeling good about the day, and wondering what the weekend was going to look like. That's always a good sign... walking away from work and leaving it all behind.

On a separate note, I'm really enjoying this semester of subbing. Although there have been headaches, I generally enjoy going into most of the classrooms and dealing with the challenges of a whole new group of kids. It can be really fun, and it seems to be extremely rewarding... I don't think I've had as many compliments in the past few months as I've had in the past few years. I was even stopped in the Superstore tonight (while K and I were picking up some milk and hot chocolate mix) by a student I taught at one point recently (I couldn't even tell you what school he went to!) who came up to me in a grinning sprint... he stopped, smiled, and said, "Hey, you're the substitute teacher! How's it going?" I responded in an obviously surprised way by saying "hi" and "how's it going", and, still grinning, he simply said, "I'm good. Sorry to bug you! I just wanted to say hi"... [looking at K]... "He's a really good sub! See ya later!".

Random.

Speaking of random, I've had a number of random things pop into my head lately...

The lyrics from both an HP Sauce commercial and a Milk commerical, as well as one of the soundtrack songs from Cinderella.

I think I need help.

T

No comments: