Saturday, November 24, 2007

Touched by stories...

K and I are getting ready to sit down and watch one of my favourite movies: The Princess Bride. For the last hour, though, we've been watching a documentary called The Suicide Tourists, a production on CTV about people seeking doctor-assisted suicide through a group called Dignitas in Switzerland. Switzerland is the only place in Europe (and North America) that will allow doctor-assisted suicide for non-residents, which is why the group is able to perform services for people outside of Swiss borders. As a side note, Oregon is the only state in the U.S. (and place in North America, as far as I know) that allows doctor-assisted suicide.

The documentary is quite touching and covers the lives of a few different families who are considering and/or pursuing euthanasia through this group. The stories are extremely sad, as are the circumstances under which they are living. If you can track it down to watch it, I suggest you do... it's quite the show. I'll leave my more in-depth thoughts for another day.

T

No comments: