Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Interesting articles on everyone's favourite church signs

I'm sure most of you have driven by a local church either in your neighbourhood or on the way to work, noticing the sometimes cheesy, sometimes funny, sometimes ridiculous phrases advertised on the marquee signs. After seeing plenty of them myself, I had a good laugh when I came across this article that discusses these signs and the general reactions they get. Being an English geek, I often laugh (or sigh) at the clever (and not-so-clever) punning that often takes place on these signs (i.e. "Happy Hour here every Sunday"). Of course, such signs are not limited to churches... there's a storage place near my house that has one with something generally funny on it all the time.

Now, I'm not really sure what it does for bringing new souls into a building... I've done little organized research (read: NONE) on the topic. But I like to think that I'm one of those people who is swayed little by advertising, so a sign would never move me to come into a church for a Sunday service. For others, though, I cannot speak.

Another fantastic blog that I've come across (as is often the case) from Ciboulette is a grammar geek's dream: The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks. It's hilarious, and although the author does not judge the grammatical quality of the given signs to bring shame for the bearers' underdeveloped sense of proper punctuation, she does point out the vast variety of double-meanings that could be read when using quotation marks improperly. Sooo funny. Especially when on church signs, when they take on an inappropriate interpretation.

Although there was no work in today's forcast, I was quite productive and pleased with my level of achievement. And, there's only a trip to the gym, a cup of tea and some reading in my night's future, so it must be a good day, even though it's slushy and slippery outside and even though the bloody motor went dead in my winshield wipers!

Well, everything can't be perfect, can it? :)

T

3 comments:

Leah said...

Clever of you to leave a single set of quotation marks hanging there when you announced the name of the blog. Good one, T.

Dimsumthing said...

Haha... touche, my friend... it shall be fixed! Some days I'm not very bright. ;)

T

stEn said...

You have been Tagged by the 7 weird things meme.

Rules are at my blog.